Research shows that typical households/businesses can save more than 20% on their electricity bills just by improving the energy efficiencies of their properties. Some of these improvements require little effort and costs. Read on to learn some key energy saving tips, and find a do-it-yourself checklist for your property.
Top energy efficiency tips for residents:
1. Replace outdated incandescent light bulbs with LED or CFL lighting.
2. Fix leaky faucets and install low flow showerheads.
3. Insulate your hot water piping.
4. Set the furnace to 68 degrees in the winter and 78 degrees in the summer.
5. Make sure your appliances, such as your refrigerators and washers, are ENERGY STAR models.
Many programs are available for residents and property owners seeking to complete home improvement projects. They offer incentives, rebates, and financing options, and may generate positive cash flow for your property immediately. Please check out the City's webpage on Rebates and Incentives for Single-Family Residents or Multi-Family Residents.
Top energy efficiency tips for businesses:
1. Get a free energy audit from SmartLights to see how you can improve the energy efficiency of your business.
2. For do-it-yourselfers, makes sure your appliances (especially refrigeration units) are ENERGY STAR compliant.
3. All lighting, including exit signs, should be energy-efficient CFLs or LEDs.
4. Upgrade your HVAC systems, and conduct annual maintenance.
5. Install sensors, and turn off office equipment during non-operation hours.
Many programs are available for business owners seeking to improve the energy efficiency in their facilities. They offer incentives, rebates, and financing options, and may generate positive cash flow for your property immediately. Please check out the City’s webpage on Rebates and Incentives for Businesses.
For more energy saving tips, visit the Resources page.