As part of the framework for developing the Climate Action Plan's goals, objectives, and strategies, the City established guiding principles that will assist in evaluating future policies and programs to ensure that they reflect community interests. These guiding principles provide a foundation for the evaluation and selection of strategies, and also facilitated the development of a balanced approach to the CAP.
The following are the CAP guiding principles:
- Sustainable functions follow sustainable forms.
- Look for opportunities of greatest leverage.
- Invest incrementally in new technologies.
- Change behavior through education and example.
- Choose strategies that build broad, long-term self-sufficiency.
- Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle.
- Evaluate strategies against realistic benefits and drawbacks.
- Consider that every solution usually create new problems.
- Take personal, business, and governmental responsibility for green living.
- Look to Nature for solutions.