Fun Facts About Martinez
Did You Know That…
- For more than 150 years, Martinez has served as the county seat for Contra Costa County.
- Martinez is the bocce ball capital of the United States with hundreds of bocce ball enthusiasts playing on City leagues.
- Martinez is the birthplace of Joe DiMaggio, famous New York Yankee slugger. You can see his boat, “Joltin' Joe“, at the Marina.
- Home of the martini – this famous cocktail was first invented and poured here in 1874 to a thirsty gold miner.
- 38 trains a day pull into our Amtrak Intermodal Station, connecting Martinez to the region and the North Concord and Pleasant Hill BART stations.
- Selected as a “Tree City USA”, Martinez was honored for its extensive planting and care of trees.
- You can visit John Muir’s home right here in Martinez. It’s a National Historic Site.